Wednesday, November 19, 2008

working on creating blogs in class...so I'll just sit here and update mine...

MORE conference notes:

These are some wise words from the wise man, Bob Lutz, Vice Chairman of Global Products, General Motors;
"Humor is an affective method through tough times."
"Communication is about making connections."

A message MUST BE:
Received
Heard
&
Understood

"All automobile companies are similar in buying, manufacturing, design in safety, and gas efficiency." (comparing Ford, GM, & Chrysler)
-this sparked my mind to think about what really sells...PR is a major part.

"You can be the best in the world but if your message is not compelling and you don't make your message connect than you have failed."

"Saying nothing is the same as saying the wrong thing & vise-versa. "

BE HONEST. Lack of honesty comes back to haunt you.

Lutz even mentioned the importance of AP Style; some examples he gave:
roll or role model
sneak peak or sneak peak

"Communications has value that paid advertising does not."

During this session I came up with the name of my blog.  In fact I have it written in my notes in front of me..."Public Relations is a fashion of words." Lutz must have said something to spark my creative mind.

"Communications should view the media as an opportunity not an obstacle."

-build normal relationships
-treat everyone equal, don't be arrogant 

"Communicators must evolve with communication."

-we must try new things

His comments on blogs

"when [negative remarks] come out you can drive it [away] with confidence."
"I'm very comfortable arguing back" - regarding untruthful comments towards GM

Lutz gave great insight and threw in some humor to keep everyone's attention.  I would love to hear him again.  He is defiantly an outstanding PR junkie; I would love to work for him.

Near the end of his speech, he sarcastically said to all PRSSA and PRSA attendees
"Thank-you for putting on this conference during this difficult time at GM."

Pretty sad, but true & most importantly hilarious.

even more notes later...it's a long process.

No comments: